Monday 2 November 2015

My Halloween Steam Horror Haul

If you follow me on Twitter, or happened to see anything I said around Halloween, you'll know what I was buried under the weight of the most important decision... What should I buy in the Steam Halloween sale? 77 pages of of discounted games, bundles and DLC, most of which was developed with the idea of scaring people silly. It wasn't easy. However, I soldiered through and manage to narrow my selection down to 7 games, coming to a total of £33. Bargain.

Here's what I bought:


Killing Floor 2

A little while back, this 6-player co-op multiplayer mayhem was free to enjoy for one weekend only. Honestly, killing zombies (and the many deadly, disturbing variations of them) became a welcome addition to my evenings, and I was more than a little disappointed when the free rock-filled, gory action was taken away. You can read my full preview right here. Luckily, Killing Floor 2 was only £13.39 on Steam, and I finally bought it, allowing me to bring Tripwire Interactive's creation back into my evenings. 



Dead Realm

Here is another multiplayer horror that I've been excited by, but too cheap to buy, until now. Dead Realm is essentially a scary game of hide-and-seek, where the main mode has ghosts (seen as demented puppets or butchers) hunting down human players that are hidden around a large, abandoned mansion. It is currently in early access, and doesn't yet have too many different modes or locations; it just didn't seem worth £10.99. At only £3.29 in the Steam sale, though, I'm incredibly happy to be able to say that it is safely hiding in my library, waiting for me to play it. Read all about 3BLACKDOT's horrifying hide-and-seek game here.



Layers of Fear

Another intriguing horror, another game that I just couldn't afford when I found it. Layers of Fear follows a psychological horror journey through the house of an artist. In trying to create his masterpiece, he has fallen into the depths of insanity, and the entire world will unravel around the player as they try follow his journey to its end. Intrigued? Read my full article here. At £7.49, it isn't the biggest discount of the games I have seen, but this horror is still relatively new - only in Early Access - and I just can't wait any longer to see the big picture. 



The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

If I'm honest, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is the game I know least about in this list, but that doesn't change the fact that I wanted it. I've only heard great things about this first-person mystery, and though it isn't outright horror, it is said to be highly story-driven and have strong puzzle and horror elements. Plus, the trailer showed autumn leaves, which speaks to the seasonal romantic in me. At £5.09 on Steam, it was always going to end up in the horror shortlist, and is waiting for a relaxed Sunday where I feel the game will be best enjoyed.

And here's a few I wasn't expecting to own:


A Wolf in Autumn

One that I've been wanting to try, as a fan of David Szymanski mysterious, story and puzzle-driven horrors. Also, as if his games weren't already pretty affordable (especially for the experience you get), A Wolf in Autumn was only 95p. I'd have paid that for the beautiful Autumn setting alone.



Slender: The Arrival

Not a game I ever thought I'd own, even if I am a fan of the creepypasta myth of Slenderman. Then again, it's been recommended to me by a couple of people for its ability to create a genuinely frightening experience and it was SO cheap. Next thing I knew, it was in my library.



Euclidean 

A strange, Lovecraftian horror in which you endlessly fall through a geometric world that wants you dead. I was intrigued, and thought I'd take a chance. Read all about it here.


I'm pretty happy with my haul this year, and even happier that I've already started playing a few of them. It's easy to get so excited that you add another bunch of games to an already upsetting backlog of games. I will play them. I WILL.

What did you buy? Share your horror haul with me in the comments or on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment