Saturday 31 October 2015

Steam's Halloween Sale - My Top 5 Most Wanted

Happy Halloween! As always, I'm trying to keep you up to date with all of the horrors you should be aware of. Today, I'm going to run you through my Top 5 horrors in the Steam Halloween sale. I haven't bought them, yet, but I'm definitely likely to be finding mothballs in my wallet a little sooner than usual next month. I can never resist horror games on sale...

Here's my Top 5.


Killing Floor 2

A little while back, this 6-player co-op multiplayer mayhem was free to enjoy for one weekend only. Honestly, killing zombies (and the many deadly, disturbing variations of them) became a welcome addition to my evenings, and I was more than a little disappointed when the free rock-filled, gory action was taken away. You can read my full preview right here. Luckily, Killing Floor 2 is now only £13.39 on Steam, and I think it is finally time to bring Tripwire Interactive's creation back into my evenings. 



Dead Realm

Here is another multiplayer horror that I've been excited by, but too cheap to buy. Dead Realm is essentially a scary game of hide-and-seek, where the main mode has ghosts (seen as demented puppets or butchers) hunting down human players that are hidden around a large, abandoned mansion. It is currently in early access, and doesn't yet have too many different modes or locations; it just didn't seem worth £10.99. At only £3.29 in the Steam sale, though, I'm not sure I can resist. Read all about 3BLACKDOT's horrifying hide-and-seek game here.























Dead Space (1 & 2 Bundle)

If you don't know what Dead Space is, you probably shouldn't even be here... I'm joking, kind of. The Dead Space series is one of my favourite horrors of last generation, where protagonist Isaac Clarke explores spaceships and stations that are no longer responding to communications. As an engineer, he is sent aboard to fix whatever mechanical issue the inhabitants may be having. Unfortunately, they should have called for space marines, because the problem is much worse than a broken fuse. What follows is a series full of nightmarish creatures, amazing weapons, and a story that only gets better. Well, until Dead Space 3, but we don't really talk about that. This bargain bundle pulls together the first two games in the series for just £4.99, and I will be using my Alien Alphaware to immerse myself into this sci-fi horror once more. Thank you, Steam. You're the best.























Layers of Fear

Another intriguing horror, another game that I just couldn't afford when I found it. Layers of Fear follows a psychological horror journey through the house of an artist. In trying to create his masterpiece, he has fallen into the depths of insanity, and the entire world will unravel around the player as they try follow his journey to its end. Intrigued? Read my full article here. At £7.49, it isn't the biggest discount of the games I have seen, but this horror is still relatively new - only in Early Access - and I just can't wait any longer to see the big picture. 



The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

If I'm honest, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is the game I know least about in this list, but that doesn't change the fact that I want it. I've only heard great things about this first-person mystery, and though it isn't outright horror, it is said to be highly story-driven and have strong puzzle and horror elements. Plus, the trailer showed autumn leaves, which speaks to the seasonal romantic in me. At £5.09 on Steam, I may have to purchase it, because it's been waiting in my PSN basket for a week now at £9.29. Sorry, Sony. Steam know what I want.


That's your lot, folks!

And that's my Top 5! I have only had time to go through the first 10 pages (there’s 76, last I checked), so this list is by no means exhaustive, and I'm sure that there's loads more games I want. In fact, I'm probably scouring Steam right now...

Do yourself a favour and snatch some Halloween bargains before November 2nd, when the Halloween Steam sale returns to nothing more than shadows and cobwebs under the bed. You'll thank me later. Comment below and tell me what great games you've picked up, or get in touch with me on Twitter, where I'm sure to be spouting more horror nonsense than ever.



Happy Halloween to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment