Saturday 7 December 2013

Behind the Horror: Stasis - Chris Bischoff

Here we are for another exclusive Noble Gaming indie-interview! This time I managed to go behind the horror with Chris Bischoff, the developer of Stasis, a point-and-click sci-fi horror. Thanks, Chris!


If you're trying to read this before you've seen the Stasis preview, I'm not mad, just disappointed. You can catch up here


Behind the Horror


Tell me a little bit about yourself. 

My name is Chris Bischoff and I'm a professional 3D artist from South Africa. I have been working on STASIS in my spare time for the past three years. 

It's no surprise to me that Stasis was recently fully-funded on Kickstarter - congratulations! How does it feel to know that people not only want your game, but are willing to support it? 

I'm over the moon! I don't think there can be a larger compliment for an artist than this - to know that people are willing to support your artwork. STASIS has been an act of passion for a long time and I think that people appreciate how much love has gone into it.

Knowing that there are players across the world who have had a small taste of the STASIS experience - AND have responded positively to - is pretty amazing. 

When I played the alpha demo, I was surprised at how polished the game seems. Stasis looks and sounds amazing! How long did it take to get to this stage? 

 It's taken me three long years of my free time to get to its current state. The Alpha took about an extra six weeks of polishing to push it up to a stage where I was happy to release it. I honestly would have put another few months of polish into it if I could have. 

You mention on your Kickstarter page some of the influences of Stasis. What were the main influences, and what did they bring to the table? 

 The largest influence is the film, Alien. Alien changed my perspective on films and has influenced all of my art, not just STASIS. Definitely take some time to watch Alien again. The Dig has too been one of the primary inspirations behind STASIS. They took a serious sci-fi story and successfully wrapped it inside an adventure game. It opened my eyes to the power of the genre, and it's something I hope to emulate with STASIS. 

What is it that made you want to create a horror sci-fi? 

 I'm just a huge fan. It's that simple. Those are my two favorite genres mixed together. Science Fiction has an incredible way of telling stories that are relevant to society and wrapping them in an accessible way... and horror, well, is just fun! 

Is there an estimated release date for Stasis? 

August 2014. 

What's your favorite horror series? 

The Alien series will always hold a very special place in my heart. 

Anything else you'd like to tell the horror-lovers of Noble Gaming?

I can't wait for you to experience the full world of STASIS!




For more details on Stasis, head to the Kickstarter

No comments:

Post a Comment